Suzanne Weyn: A Self Portrait
Suzanne Weyn Revealed
About Suzanne Weyn
Previous occupations:waitress, cashier, editor
Favorite television show:Jeopardy
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Creative, Frenetic, Interesting, Rich, Exhausting, Fun, Varied, Ever-changing
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Just keep a' goin'.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Perfect happiness would be knowing that all my family and friends were happy and safe. Then I'd go to a tropical island with my husband where it was gorgeous and fun all day long and interesting and fun all evening. Good food and dancing would be nice, too, and weekly visits from those safe and happy family and friends. Plus world peace.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. I don't want to talk about it.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Right where I am or Paris
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. The Civil War always moves me.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Barack Obama
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Oops
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. No regrets.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Singing. I can't carry a tune at all.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. My novels.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Laziness.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Balance.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Me
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Sense of humor
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Jo March in Little Women
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Professor Moriarity in Sherlock Holmes
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Nikolai Tesla. I'd say--"You were robbed!" He invented so many great things--like wireless technology--that he never got credit for. GM bought the patent for his electric car so they could bury it. Many people have never heard of him because he wasn't a very good businessman.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People who talk about themselves incessantly
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Goofing off
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Movie Star
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Humor, intelligence, honesty
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. What a horrible thought!
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Margaret Atwood is my number one favorite adult author right now. I also learned a lot by reading Stephen King. I am currently reading Junot Diaz and admiring his writing. I also love Thomas Pynchon but he's hard to get through. I've been reading his most recent book in spurts for the last two years.
In youth writing I also admire Louisa May Alcott, Beverly Cleary, M.K. Anderson, Nancy Krulik, R.L. Stine, and Phillip Pullman.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Hearts in Atlantis By Stephen King
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Little Women
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. It's easy to get discouraged, just keep writing because you love to do it and you'll keep improving.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. Lovely encouraging words that I appreciate more than I can say.