Susie Bright Revealed
About Susie Bright
What is your birthdate?:3/25
Previous occupations:McDonald's "Golden Girl," babysitter, housecleaner, machine shop factory worker, vibrator clerk, movie star, waitress, stage actress, radio DJ, bookseller, professor, cook, phone operator, garment industry worker, dressmaker, screenwriter, news reporter, union organizer, press operator, space observatory secretary
Favorite job:All my creative ones, where I got to be myself.
High school and/or college:University High drop-out, and college at Cal State Long Beach and UC Santa Cruz, grad school at New College
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:I love too many to pick a favorite. I did belong to a screaming hysterical Beatles fan club in the early 60s. No fan clubs since!
Favorite movie:I love films of all kinds, but the biggest thrill of my life was seeing my words come to the screen, on "Bound."
Favorite television show:The episode of Six Feet Under, where all the characters ask, "Who's that?" and Brenda says, "That's Susie Bright, the feminist sex writer."
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Fight Like Hell For The Living & Reading
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Je ne Regrette Rien
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Being reunited with someone you love.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Realized or not? My adrenalin has never been so pumped as when someone tried to kill me. That experience never gets old.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Warm, tranquil turquoise water would hit the spot right about now.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. "The Final Girl"
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My daughter.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "I've HAD IT!"
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. I don't think about life that way. Every tragedy has its tender side.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Lots of them! Musical genius, athletic prowess, adding numbers in my head
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Not giving up.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Impatience.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Dialectic thinking.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Icarus, but with better luck!
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Memorable mouthiness.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Mattie Ross
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Cruella de Ville
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Emma Goldman: I love you to pieces
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Capitalism.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Reading.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Eccentric Philanthropist
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Integrity, Creativity, Unwarranted Kindness
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Fresh bread and butter
On Books and Writing
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Lover's Discourse by Roland Barthes
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Take your favorite book off the shelf. One you've read more than once. Type the entire thing out from front to back.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. Messages of kinship, excitement, and thanks, which mean a lot to me. A welcome relief from hate mail.