Sarah Wendell: A Self Portrait
Sarah Wendell Revealed
About Sarah Wendell
What is your birthdate?:3/1
Previous occupations:Camp registrar, pottery instructor, art teacher, meetings coordinator, organatrix, mastermind.
High school and/or college:I went to high school in Pittsburgh, PA, and to college in Columbia, South Carolina. Y'all.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Bach. If he wrote it, I love it. Favorite song: Wachet Auf. Love love love.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. tired tired tired tired tired tired tired Caffeine!
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. The beach, no clocks, easy food, and happy, sated family. And a fully loaded ebook reader.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Rubber balloons, stairs with no backs, and cleaning the sink trap with my bare hands.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Awesome. Dude. Indefatigable. Concupiscent. Feh.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. The ability to function on 4 hours sleep.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Saying "Yes" when I ought to say "No thank you."
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I'm really freaking loud. Also, I'm smart, and I'm a bitch. Hence the name of the website.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People who take up a seat on the bus or train with their bag, people who hug the subway pole so you can't hold on safely, and questions that make my mind go blank.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Rump Shaker. Baby Got Back. MacArthur Park. Lost in Your Eyes. Ice Ice Baby. Honorable Mention: Wind Beneath My Wings. (Thanks Katiebabs!)
On Books and Writing
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. Either "You are so mean!" or "OMG Thank God I found your site!"
- Q. How did you come to write Beyond Heaving Bosoms?
- A. Literally: I got up at 4am and worked over weekends to write it. Fancifully: There were coffee-bearing elves who had helpful and pugnacious attitudes. Really: It's all the fault of Rose Hilliard (St. Martin's) with the additional culpability of Sulay Hernandez and Shawna Lietzke (Touchstone/Fireside) and Dan Lazar (Writer's House).