Sarah Pekkanen Revealed
About Sarah Pekkanen
What is your birthdate?:11/29
Previous occupations:Journalist, waitress, model, stand-in and extra for Hollywood movies
Favorite job:Writing books! Seriously, it's what I dreamed of doing when I was a kid. It doesn't get any better than this.
High school and/or college:Bethesda Chevy Chase High/U. Wisconsin-Madison and U Maryland-College Park
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Ever since I saw her perform in person, I can't hear enough of Alicia Keyes
Favorite movie:Only one? No, that's not fair! It changes as often as my hair color :)
Favorite television show:The Office (with American Idol a close runner-up)
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Chaotic, chocoholic, comedic... messy, madcap... Martha Stewart's nightmare!
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. A group of girlfriends, a bottle or three of wine, and chocolate can make just about anything easier to bear.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Spending time with the people I love most, and knowing they're just as happy as me.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Being in a plane crash; I pity the person sitting next to me, because at the first bump, I'm digging my nails into their arm
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Under an umbrella on a sunny beach with a tropical drink in hand and my family by my side. My husband must be made to understand that the cabana boy comes with the private island. We can't return him!
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. I admire bits and pieces of just about everyone I know.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "That's what she said!" (only fans of "The Office" will get this)
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not appreciating my education more when I was in college. Plus certain fashion and grooming choices (that spiral perm was not my friend, and when it grew out, the top half of my hair was stick-straight, and the bottom half was pure frizz).
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Singing so well on "American Idol" that Simon is reduced to a stuttering, quivering mess.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Helping my three young kids turn into the funny, loving, quirky people they were meant to be.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I just love the wording of this question. It's like, "We know there are MANY flaws -- probably too many to count -- but if you could only choose one (and it must be so hard to narrow it down), think of your greatest flaw, the one that makes people run away from you screaming. Um, I get distracted easily? Think impure thoughts about certain movie stars? Scarf down chocolate in front of my children and lie to them, telling them I'm eating fruit?
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I like most people, and I don't take offense easily. Unless you mess with my kids. Then I'm like the Mob.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I'd love to dip into the lives of people who are completely different from me - but only for a day.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I usually have chocolate in hand and a book in front of my nose
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. I'm going out on a limb and saying Bridget Jones.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Hannibal Lecter. He's chilling.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People who eat a meal without drinking a beverage. I know, I know; it's bizarre.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Quality control at the Godiva-making facility.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. By "fantasy" do you mean... oh, wait, is this a G-rated question? It is? Then I've got my fantasy profession. Writing never gets boring, I can do it in my pajamas, and the thought that I'm going to see my book in a store takes my breath away.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Humor, compassion, integrity.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Baked sweet potatoes dipped in chocolate. I'd eat the insides on days when I was feeling virtuous, and lick off the chocolate on my decadent days.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Nooo! Only five? They change all the time, but I love "Superman" by Five for Fighting, "No One" by Alicia Keys, "Romanza" by Andrea Bocelli, "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen, and "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffin, Marian Keyes, Jodi Picoult, David Sedaris, Elin Hildebrand, Lisa Tucker, Anne Tyler, Claire Cook, Helen Fielding, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, Lolly Winston
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. In Her Shoes Little Women Pride and Prejudice Seabiscuit Whatever I'm currently reading and loving!
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. The books I wrote when I was a kid -- it's a glimpse into my childhood mind
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Writing is like exercise; if you do it consistently, you'll get results.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. The one I love to hear most is, "Thanks for making me laugh."