Monica Holloway: A Self Portrait
Monica Holloway Revealed
About Monica Holloway
What is your birthdate?:9/8
Previous occupations:Actress in the theatre, Assistant to the Executive Producers of UNSOLVED MYSTERIES (no I didn't see a real ghost), chasing a hot air balloon around Del Mar, CA and collecting the passengers when it landed, corn detasseling, driving a hearse
High school and/or college:MFA - University of California, San Diego
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Stephen Sondheim
Favorite television show:30 Rock
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Shockingly, yet happily, not what I expected - ever!
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. SLOW DOWN. (I repeat this several times a day in my head, but I never do it.)
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Standing in a grassy meadow with every single member of my family as far back as time, and knowing as I take in each perfect face, that all is forgiven between every person there, and all that remains is love. And that's where we start over.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Being completely alone in the world.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Litchfield, Connecticut
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Barack Obama
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not being braver.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. To play the cello.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Giving birth.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Not trusting myself.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I love to laugh.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A polar bear. I'd be cute and not worry about my enormous butt.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I move very quickly.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. The 10,000 Volt Ghost from Scooby Doo
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Someone talking while I'm watching a movie.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. If only I had one.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Conductor of the New York Philharmonic
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Integrity, loyalty and humor
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. A nine pump, nonfat, no water, easy foam chai latte from Starbucks
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. The Way by Neil Young, You're the Top sung by Louis Armstrong, Tom Traubert's Blues sung by Tom Waits, My Back Pages covered by Tom Corwin & Tim Hockenberry, Wrapped in my Memory by Shawn Smith, At Long Last Love sung by Sinatra
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Kelly Corrigan Maile Meloy Billy Collins Dorothy Allison Wendell Berry Joan Didion Spalding Gray Annie Dillard Pema Chodron Truman Capote
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. THE CATCHER IN THE RYE SLOUCHING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM A CHRISTMAS MEMORY
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW FOR SURE by Dorothy Allison
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Show up. Attend classes, workshops, retreats or any place where you can meet other writers and listen to other people's work.
- Q. How did you come to write Cowboy & Wills?
- A. I wanted the story of Cowboy & Wills to be down on paper, to last. A tribute to two of the bravest.