Matt Whyman: A Self Portrait
Matt Whyman Revealed
About Matt Whyman
What is your birthdate?:4/1
Previous occupations:Wireman (due to a mix up over my surname), forklift truck driver, TEFL teacher,
Favorite job:The one I have now
High school and/or college:I went to far too many schools. Never settled.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:I'll listen to anything so long as it doesn't have singing. Words get in the way of writing.
Favorite television show:Curb your Enthusiasm
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Author, father, mini-pig sitter
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. A pet is for life. Even the demanding ones.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Going to bed without having to set the alarm clock.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. pigeons
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. At home is fine by me.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. I'll need a moment on wikipedia to answer this
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Muhammad Ali. Once upon a time I bumped into him in a shopping centre in Bristol. True fact!
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Who left this mess?
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. No regrets. Just a great deal of learning from mistakes.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. To be feared at Singstar
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Keeping my family afloat.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Cracking jokes at totally the wrong time
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Laughing at self for terrible comic timing
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Someone who knew about pig-keeping when my wife suggested a pair would make good pets.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I can never bring myself to retire old jeans. So, my knees are most noticeable.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Captain Ahab. I know how it feels to be pitted against great beasts.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Cruella Deville
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Winston Churchill once said that a dog looks up to a man, but a pig looks a man in the eye. I would like to go back in time and suggest that he adds 'and steals his place on the sofa.'
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. When it comes to pets, I wouldn't know where to begin.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. I'm Agony Uncle for Bliss - a UK teen girl's magazine
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Hypnotist
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. A sense of calm, humour and righteous vengeance where appropriate.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. sushi
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. I listen to music while I write, but never take it in.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Angela Carter
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Heart of Darkness
The Perfect Storm
The Worst Journey in the World
The Hot Zone
Crime & Punishment
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Papillon by Henri Charriere. Not so much reread as finish.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Never give up, even if everyone says you suck. Always believe you were meant to win the Pulitzer Prize.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. What car do you drive?