Margie Palatini: A Self Portrait
Margie Palatini Revealed
About Margie Palatini
What is your birthdate?:11/25
Previous occupations:Ad Agency Art Director, freelance designer.
Favorite job:Exactly what I'm doing now -- writing and illustrating children's books.
High school and/or college:John P. Steven H.S., Edison, NJ., Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:So hard. Hmmm. George Gershwin. Cole Porter. Irving Berlin.
Favorite movie:Way too hard to pick just 'one' -- but will give tie to Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve ... but then there's The Godfather, and Casablanca and ... nope. Can't do one..
Favorite television show:Again, way too many faves. All time? Maybe I Love Lucy.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. 8? I'm way too wordy for only ... see?
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. eh
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. A plate of pasta. Turner Classic Movies. A great robe.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Never having another idea in my head. Ever!
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. On the beach in Bermuda.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. 'Most' is pretty serious. But, I do admire Hillary Clinton.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "I just want to tell you..."
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Wasting time.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. If I could just hit that golf ball.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. My son, Jamie (perpetual bedhead and all). Thank goodness for those baseball caps.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Insecurity.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Loyalty.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A bird or one of my sister's cats -- because they truly 'have the life'. O
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Impatient perfectionist. (Wow. That is pret-ty, pret-ty toxic, which = Drama Queen)
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Superman. (He's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Bends steel in his bare hands.) But, have to say, Nancy Drew is way cool.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. What a question! Off with your head! The Queen of Hearts. But, you know, Mrs. Danvers was one big baddie too. Don't get me started on Regina Giddens.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Thomas Edison --- "Wow"
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Why can't I find a pair of socks that MATCH?!!
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Couch Potato. Watching 'One Life to Live' -- totally addicted. Yeah, I know, see #10.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Broadway Musical Actress (Patti Lupone for a day)
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Honesty. Loyalty. Respect.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Pierogie
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. "You and Me, We Wanted it All" Peter Allen/"You're the Top" Cole Porter/ "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better," Irving Berlin/ "Put Your Dreams Away for Another Day." Lyrics, Frank Sinatra/ "Over You," Betty Buckley singing from Tender Mercies.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. John Steinbeck, Woody Allen, Jean Shepard, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Maeve Binchy
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Little Engine That Could, To Kill A Mockingbird, Alice in Wonderland, The Thorn Birds, East of Eden
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Alice in Wonderland
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read, write, write some more, read, read.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. How did you think of that?