M. Spooner: A Self Portrait
M. Spooner Revealed
About M. Spooner
What is your birthdate?:7/2
Previous occupations:editor, sales, jeweler
High school and/or college:High school in Alaska. College in Arizona.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Right now it's Mozart. This will change next year to Gounod.
Favorite movie:Babette's Feast.
Favorite television show:Daily Show
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. work words food love music words work sigh
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. old age ain't for sissies, dude.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. I think the happiest people are those who fully know who they are. They have stopped worrying about where to find happiness, so they can enjoy each moment for what it is.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Not being read. ;-)
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. I try to be content where I am, but I'd love to see many other countries.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. An indentured servant in Plymouth, 1637.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. A man named Ikenna Oneiydo, who is a university president in Nigeria. I have never met a more gracious, intelligent, or wise person.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Mine? Dude, like, I totally have no clue, you know?
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. I regret having to be right all the time when I was a YA.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Teleporting.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Paying off our house.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Modesty.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Irony.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Hermione Granger.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I have a mustache.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Either Tom or Jerry.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Scarpia.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. That would be Scrooge, and I would tell him, "Don't eat the pudding; it will give you bad dreams."
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Dogs. Oh wait, you mean . . .
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Music.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Travel writer.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Humor, honesty, discipline.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Pasta with olive oil and asparagus.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. I'm old. My faves are scattered among the blues, R&B, gospel, folk, and opera. Only old people know them any more.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Umberto Eco, Diane Ackerman, Harold Bloom, RR Knudson, Iain Pears
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Foucault's Pendulum, Instance of the Fingerpost, Moby-Dick, Natural History of the Senses, and the Book of Job
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. I reread my favorite writers. It's inspiring and depressing.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Just tell me a story about what people want from life.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. They seem to think there's magic or romance in writing books. It's mostly hard work.