Lisa McMann: A Self Portrait
Lisa McMann Revealed
About Lisa McMann
Previous occupations:I was a blueberry picker, bindery worker, bookstore clerk and later manager, and a Realtor.
Favorite job:Writing! And being a mom.
High school and/or college:I went to Holland Christian High School in Holland, Michigan, and to Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:My husband, Matt McMann. He proposed to me with a song. Isn't that romantic?
Favorite movie:Love, Actually
Favorite television show:The Office
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Another dorky, Pajama-wearing writer, Spilling angst around. (hey look, it’s a haiku!)
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Get over it and ask, "What's next?"
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Zombies. And fire. Zombies on fire would reallly do me in.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. I would love to go to Greece.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Napoleon. (Dynamite...not Bonaparte)
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Two people -- my kids. They are doing a freaking awesome job growing into young adults.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. I shout out, "Bring home the baron!" way too often.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. seventh grade
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Sometimes, I would like to disappear.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. ambidexterity
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. penmanship
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I am fairly generous.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I have a big smile...that's probably it.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Louis, from Harvest Moon Magical Melody. *sigh*
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Some might argue that he doesn't qualify as a villain, but I'd have to go with Severus Snape.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Jesus Christ. I'd say, "Sooo...what WOULD you do, actually?"
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. I would like to deliver flowers.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Promptness, kindness, and a sense of humor.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Absolutely, without a doubt, peanut butter. You've got your carbs, your protein, your fat, your veggies (the pea part, right?)...it's like the entire food pyramid in one ever-loving spoonful.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. This is the hardest question ever! The answer changes all the time, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I love Chris Crutcher, Sara Zarr, Lois Lowry, Elizabeth Scott, Madeleine L'Engle, Gordon Korman, Michelle Magorian, Heather Bouwman.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. No, THIS is the hardest question ever. But here goes: Little Women The Count of Monte Cristo The Poisonwood Bible East of Eden A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Learn how to take criticism and keep writing--it takes a lot of practice.