Hannah Moskowitz: A Self Portrait
Hannah Moskowitz Revealed
About Hannah Moskowitz
What is your birthdate?:4/12
Previous occupations:Well...I've babysat a few times...and high school, musn't forget that.
Favorite job:Definitely writing. Less crying than babysitting (most of the time). And always less homework than high school.
High school and/or college:I'm graduating from a tiny high school outside of Washington D.C. in the spring and going to Brown University in the fall.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Motion City Soundtrack, though I'm a huuuuge Death Cab and Decemberists fan.
Favorite movie:Fight Club
Favorite television show:Queer As Folk
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. An unexploded bottle rocket. Waiting. In Calculus class.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Live through this and you won't look back.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Lying in the sand with my four best friends, filthy and sweaty, pretending to be velociraptors.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Michelle Obama.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "like" and "as." I need to go to Simileholics Anonymous.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I really wish I could dance and not look like something caught in net. But I think I'd prefer to be a really good chef.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I can come off as really blasé and unexcited about things. And I have an inability to pretend to be nice when I'm not feeling nice.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Honesty.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My enormous hair.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Linus. And his Christmas tree.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Captain Hook. Boy's got class.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People who say "different than."
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. I love to sing, act, and *talk.*
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. I'm not going to lie--I'd like to be your American Idol. But writing's pretty cool too.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. 1. Sense of humor. 2. Integrity. 3. Good skin
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Something childish, like macaroni and cheese. Or Ring Pops.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. At the moment? "Sons and Daughters" by the Decemberists, "Together We'll Ring in the New Year" by Motion City Soundtrack, "Bixby Canyon Bridge" by Death Cab for Cutie, "All I Need" by Mat Kearney, and "First Day of My Life," by Bright Eyes.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. John Green, Chuck Palahniuk, Hilary McKay, J.M. Barrie, Ned Vizzini, John Irving, Garrett Freymann-Weyr, Joyce Sweeney, Albert Camus, Manuel Puig, Brent Runyon, S.E. Hinton
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, The Stranger by Albert Camus, The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving, Looking for Alaska by John Green, My Heartbeat by Garrett Freymann-Weyr
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. If I like a book even a little bit, I reread it.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. You are not too good to revise, I SWEAR.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. I think it's a tie between "how can you write boys so authentically?" and "these boys act like women!!"
- Q. How did you come to write Break?
- A. I watched Fight Club and Into the Wild too many times consecutively, thought too much amount the human experience, and like just a little too much nonsense with my horror stories.