Ellen Hopkins Revealed
About Ellen Hopkins
Previous occupations:I owned my own business--a video store.
Favorite job:Never really had jobs, but I did teach as an artist in residence. Loved doing that.
High school and/or college:Santa Ynez Valley Union High School; UCSB (both in California)
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:My favorite composer is Mozart.
Favorite movie:My favorite current movie is Iron Man. Favorite all-time movie is The Sting.
Favorite television show:Boston Legal
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Time voyage--false starts, choppy seas, safe harbors.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Shortcuts only cheat those taking them.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Sitting in front of the fireplace with someone you love, sipping a hot drink, eating popcorn, watching it snow.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Not having enough time left to tell all the stories I want to tell.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Other than right here at home, Australia/New Zealand.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Amelia Earhart--a woman who chose to stand out from the rest and do what she loved.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Hillary Clinton
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Hey. Nice. Awesome.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not pursuing my love of dance/theater.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. The ability to play music completely by ear.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Making a hugely positive impact with my books.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I tend to be a bit impulsive.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Loyalty to family and friends.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. An eagle, as long as I lived where people didn't want to shoot them down.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I'm outgoing and fun.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Jack Sparrow.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Cruella Deville
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Lancelot. I'd say, "What's up with that Guinevere person, anyway? Let me show you a real good time!!"
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Rude drivers.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Teaching.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Jet pilot.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Honesty, kindness, curiosity.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. If I didn't care about living a long time, chocolate. If I did, peanut butter and jam sandwiches.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Come Together (Beatles), Lights (Journey), Renegade (Styx), Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
On Books and Writing
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Of Mice and Men, The Dark Tower, Sometimes a Great Notion, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Rings
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Traveling Mercies
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Create compelling characters and let plot flow from there.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That my books don't feel like fiction, and that my characters feel like friends.
- Q. How did you come to write Identical?
- A. Over the years, several friends have shared stories of childhood sexual abuse. None felt able to write them, so I wanted to give them, and other young men and women with similar stories, a voice. Statistically, one in five women and one in seven men suffer some form of sexual abuse. We, as a society, need to find ways to lessen those statistics.