Debby Holt: A Self Portrait
Debby Holt Revealed
About Debby Holt
What is your birthdate?:3/10
Previous occupations:teacher, special needs assistant
Favorite job:Writing by a mile!
High school and/or college:Rosebery Grammar School, Surrey and Exeter University
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Leonard Cohen
Favorite movie:It's A Wonderful Life
Favorite television show:ER
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Imaginary characters constantly butting into my domestic life
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. 'Most people are about as happy as they decide to be.' Abraham Lincoln
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. The sun shining outside, a good chapter written and every member of the family - for once - problem-free at the same time.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Death of someone I love
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. The Maldives would do very nicely
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Mary Shelley though heaven knows why!
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. President Obama because I want to believe there is at least one political leader who knows what to do
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. clearly and actually in print and 'Do you know what I mean?' in conversation.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Taking so long to take writing seriously
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. singing and playing the guitar
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. My children, (though I'm not sure I can claim much responsibility here).
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Impatience
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Seriously, I don't know!
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. If I couldn't be me, I'd like to be Sophia Loren when Cary Grant was in love with her...Sigh!
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I talk a lot.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Captain Wentworth in Persuasion by Jane Austen.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Alec d'Urberville in Tess of the D'Urbervilles - He's far more alluring than the priggish Angel.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would meet King Charles the Second before he married and persuade him I'd fit the bill nicely.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Politicians who say they listen but don't.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Winning at Scrabble although it hardly ever happens.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Acting
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Kindness, a sense of fun, enthusiasm.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. homemade soup
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Anne Tyler, Carole Stone, Claire Tomalin, Douglas Kennedy, Georgette Heyer
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer, Persuasion by Jane Austen, A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, Katherine by Anya Seton
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. If you wonder if something you've written doesn't work, it probably doesn't.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That I make them laugh.