Ari Berk Revealed
About Ari Berk
Previous occupations:Tour guide at Universal Studios. Clerk (and occasional tarot reader) at an esoteric book shop. Youth Literacy Program Director at a juvenile court.
Favorite job:Professor of Mythology and Folklore, my current and favorite job by far.
High school and/or college:Birmingham High School in Van Nuys, California. Humboldt State University (BA), Oxford, UK (post-graduate studies), and University and Arizona (MA and PhD)
Favorite movie:Anything by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and, ok, Star Wars.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Always almost about to be buried by books.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. "Way leads on to way."
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Almost anywhere by the sea.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. John Dee, scholar and astronomer to Queen Elizabeth I. He had an enormous library of books and used to see angels and spirits in an old MesoAmerican obsidian mirror.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Waiting so long to write a novel. My finest short story was written in the 4th grade, an enthralling yarn about meeting the Loch Ness monster. I could have added a few chapters...
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Play the piano.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Birth of my son (admittedly, a co-authored project)
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My voice
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Dr. Strange
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Darth Vader
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Sushi