Ann Pearlman Revealed
About Ann Pearlman
What is your birthdate?:12/25
Previous occupations:I've worked as a fly catcher, protective services, school, prison, child quidance clinic therapist and in private practice.
Favorite job:writing, psychotherapy, art
High school and/or college:Allderdice, University of Pittsburgh, University of Iowa, Case Western Reserve
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Too many to list one and I like all kinds of music from classical, blues, rock, rap, folk.
Favorite movie:Bambi, my first.
Favorite television show:Treme, Wire, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Glee
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. An exciting adventure full of family, love, and risks.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Follow your bliss, but consider others.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. A day in which I write all morning and it's one of those times when I have the sense of taking dictation from the gods. Then in the afternoon go for a walk, or swim, or do yoga. Spend a few hours painting or doing sculpture with my eclectic collection of music playing in the background and that night have family and friends over for a great group cooked meal or go dancing.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Dying alone.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Right here.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Probably my grandmother.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. We're all works in progress
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. just. so. well.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. What you regret is a great teacher. That knowledge erases regrets.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. singing
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. my children
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. perseverance and optimism
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. perseverance and optimism
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Me.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My acceptance and love of people
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Usually the people in whatever book I'm reading that I love.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, the hero/villain in Perfume, a man born with a terrible flaw that is also a gift.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would love to meet and see the world through the eyes of an early human like Lucy or Ardi. I'd like to transport forward a hundred years and talk to someone from this planet.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Pet peeve-- people who are very late or always changing meeting times. Really a problem for me: lying.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. art and being a psychotherapist
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. anthropologist, oceanographer, surgeon, rock singer
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. openness, honesty, excitement about life
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. My own cooking. (I know, that's not fair!)
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. I'm greedy. I love too many songs to pick just five.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Philip Roth, Margaret Atwood, Russell Banks, Toni Morrison, Doctorow, Eugenides, David Mitchell, Colum McCann
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. I’m a promiscuous reader and have been since I was a kid. There are so many books that have enriched my life, it’s difficult to pick five without a bunch of others popping into my mind shouting, what about me, and what about me?
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Margaret Atwoods’ Blind Assassin
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read. Read. Read. Write. Devote your best time of day to it.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. They love my characters and want to know more.