Alma Flor Ada Revealed
About Alma Flor Ada
What is your birthdate?:1/3
Previous occupations:Bookkeeper, Switchboard operator, teacher assistant, teacher, univeristy professor
High school and/or college:Instituto de Camaguey, Cuba/Loretto Heights College,Denver/barry University, Miami, Universidad Complutense, Madrid,Spain/ Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru, Lima/ Harvard University
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Violeta Parra
Favorite television show:Gillmore Girls
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Aware compassionate exciting caring loving fun sincere creative
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Live with kindness towards all
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. The total serenity that fills mindful moments of awareness.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. That any danger will come to the people I love
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. My own backyard on a sunny day.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Jose Marti
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My mother
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. I truly don't know
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not having spent more time with each of my 9 grandchildren
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Dancing
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. My children
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Procrastination
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Kindness
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A drop of water in the ocean
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Authenticity
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. The Little Red Hen, my kind of daily life hero
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Zorro
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I wish I could meet Jose Marti and express my gratitude for his words, both his poetry and his speeches, and above all for his living example.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Reading
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Fiilm director
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Generosity, truthfulness, courage
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Mangos
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Gracias a la vida, Te recuerdo, Amalia, Over the Rainbow, La Vie en Rose, Las perlas de tu boca,
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Miguel de Cervantes, Antonio Machado, Jose Marti
Pedro Salinas, Pablo Neruda, Cesar Vallejo,
Federico Garcia Lorca, Gabriela Mistral, Miguel de Unamuno, Miguel Hernandez, Nicolas Guillen, Mirta Aguirre, Gustavo Adolfo Becquer, Julia Alvarez,
Mario Vargas Llosa, Almudena Grandes, Juan Ramon Jimenez, Alonso Zamora Vicente, Maria Josefa Canellada
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Din Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Versos sencillos by Jose Marti
Poesias completas by Pedro Salinas
Poesias completas by Antonio Machado
Platero y yo by Juan Ramon Jimenez
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Antonio Machado's poetry
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read constantly and trust in your own voice
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That the feel they know the characters of the books and have experienced what the characters experienced